Tuesday, March 9, 2010

HTML is, to be quite frank, something that I need to invest more time in exploring. In a previous post I mentioned that HTML and I used to be the best of friends, I have to remind myself that although HTML was in my life, my experiences with it didn’t leave me particularly equipped to pursue actual website construction. I blame the accessibility of it, although incredibly useful, if not fundamental to the web-based community, it makes people damned lazy. Some people can use HTML for a number of years without actually learning it, or really, what it does (as I’m sure I’ve mentioned before.)

My relationship with HTML, (I use HTML for a good time, then fail to return it’s phone calls) I imagine, is pushing procrastination. To be frank, when HTML and I get together, it’s a little awkward. Almost always we end up fighting. Though, this blog, amazingly acts as a nagging tool, reminding me that no matter how much HTML and I like to avoid each other; I really need it… to pass this course.

So cheers to you HTML, I hope we can put our differences beside us, and work together for a better future, as a team.

CSS is also one of my newer companions. Although we’ve only just recently met, I’m looking forward to working with it more, and getting over the initial CSS shock, in the coming week. A side thought, why is blog a term still ‘incorrect’ by Word’s standards, it’s a totally legitimate for something that’s getting the red squiggly line.

Onto the moodle topics, which was the main purpose for me writing this blog anyhow. I’ve already disclosed my many opinions on both HTML and CSS, but to summarize: it can be said that I get HTML and CSS to a certain extent, but mistakes are still made and the process is largely comprised of reference and trial and error.

Looking at the Semantic Link, I can see that Semantic Markup is an umbrella term for the umbrella tags, the ones that can be edited within CSS. Presentation based markup, I believe the example they use is the bold tag, is one that is not easily edited or accessed as it only pertains to the content within those tags on the HTML document, they cannot be changed and accessed by a style sheet. The link also stressed that semantic markup is much more organized than that of presentational based mark up. I imagine that this is because of the overriding nature of CSS sheets, making the actual core document less clunky and cluttered, and thus easier to read by the machines and search engines.

Cascading: layered, one builds on the other. They add up.


Semantic web: human level expressions. Semantic is what it looks like. Non semantic is what it is
(To be finished off)

No comments:

Post a Comment