Tuesday, March 16, 2010

To frame or not to frame:

Back when I was young and naive, the iframe was, in my mind, the only possible method of constructing a website layout. So naturally I considered using the frames format for my layout in this assessment piece. I decided to conduct some research, not only for the code, but for the usability of frames, both their cons and pros in creating a layout. I found there were a lot of cons.

Essentially Frames have a habit of breaking everything, including your entire internet experience. They manage to shut down the functionality of the internet; urls, bookmarking, search engines, printing and accessibility. I think it’s rather redundant for me to relate exactly how, when THIS article does it so beautifully. Check it out because it also provides the alternative to using frames, which is the “CSS frame.” The CSS fame isn’t so much a frame as an imitation frame, it arranges content within organised and static modules without crashing and burning the usability of your website. Though with many great inventions, and as the article specifies, the CSS frame has its limitations. These limitations mainly regard the overflow function: overflow: auto. From what I understand this function allows a scroll bar to be added if the content overflows it’s designated “frame.” This is not supported by all browsers, and alternate style sheets, and printing based style sheets must be made to avoid this issue. means more work for the builder. The above article, which I’m sure you’ve discovered is the source of my power information, was written a while ago, its comments originate from the year 2004. {The internet is a freaking time machine I swear it.} I imagine that some of the limitations that have been addressed in this article have also been addressed by the big browser companies in the newer versions of their product. I guess then the major consideration, and thus limitation of using the CSS frame is the kids who refuse to update their out of date browsers, the kids who think they’re vintage but they’re not. But seeing as this is an assessment, and the kats who are marking it are fair hip- I imagine that they’re going to have more recent browser versions.
If I build it early, I test it early, and can thus reassess if the need arises. Knowing my luck it will.

My reasoning behind wanting to pursue the CSS frame is, quite frankly, the aesthetic appeals to me. It gives the illusion of professionalism and structure. The fact that I actually can group the CSS and call it something means that wider resources are available to assist me in the task of building, which is always fantastic for the HTML/CSS novice.

THIS is both the starting point of my CSS Frame research and a representation of the CSS Frame. I thought I would share to help others, as well as providing a visual aid for my aspired finished product.

Another discovery: W3schools maintains that the overflow function is supported by all major browsers.

An end note: As I get more involved in this project, my authorial voice becomes more “essay like.” I find this interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment